Five of the Best
Shoes for Little Feet
Buying shoes for your children is usually a painful process – first there’s the ongoing, astronomical cost for something they’ll grow out of in five seconds. Followed by the strange penchant for the high street brands (Clarks I’m looking at you here) to design clumpy, ugly footwear covered in gender-specific frippery in violent shades of purple and luminous green. No thank you.
If you insist on something slightly more attractive, then both H&M and Zara offer some great options in more neutral styles and fair prices. But – if you’re going to spend a bit of money on shoes – and it’s about the one item of your child’s wardrobe where you should be prepared to spend a bit (our feet are pretty essential after all) – then it pays to know some good brands that offer real, grown-up alternatives.
These are some of my favourites.
- Papouelli – London-based Papouelli makes some of the most beautiful shoes for children, including picture-perfect Mary-Janes in a range of colours, and gorgeous sandals for summer. (Cordelia Sandal, £60, Papouelli, papouelli.com)
- Tiny Toms – I love my own Toms, comfy, easy to wear and ethical too, and the options for children are just as lovely – wholesome colours, natural materials and reasonable prices. (Red Burlap & Stripe Biminis, £29.99, Toms, toms.co.uk/kids)
- Native Kids – this is a new brand to me but one I really like for practical, washable shoes that are perfect for summer days and beachwear. Made from a sustainable microfibre that’s ethical and proudly ‘beast-free’ they come in a cool range of colours and are a great price too. (Jefferson Atlantis Blue/Princess Pink, £20, Native Kids, alexandalexa.com)
- Superga – I am yet to own my own pair of fabulously cool Superga trainers, but hey, that’s never stopped Munchkin. These are lovely casual kicks for kids, in soft colours and breathable cotton. (Jcot Classic in Dusty Rose, £32, Superga, superga.co.uk)
- Young Soles – Munchkin already has a pair of their red Delilah Mary Janes which she has worn and worn, and I’m in love with these sandals for her. Classic design, soft leather, gorgeous colours. (Pearl Sandal in Nude Pink, £53, Young Soles, youngsoles.co.uk)